Wednesday, July 21, 2010

First Lesson in Marriage

Alot of married couples have told me that marriage is all about compromise. Robert and I are having our first lesson about compromise already during our engagement - compromise about the time of the wedding, reception site, decorations, even our guest list. But as Robert so wisely put it yesterday - without the compromises, we wouldn't have a place to get married in. And I wouldn't have the reality checks about the life Robert and I will share AFTER the wedding day.

Yesterday someone asked me what I wanted my guests to see at the wedding. I admit I was stumped at first, not knowing how to answer that because I honestly hadn't thought about the wedding that way. I had been much more pre-occupied about how to decorate the church and what the guests would think about the color combo we picked out. So when posed with this question, I really thought about it beyond the colors and decorations. I realized I wanted my guests to see how thankful I am (we are) that God brought us together, because we all know how hard it is to find that true and lasting love.

So what do I want my guests to see? I want them to see how truly lucky and blessed Robert and I are to have found and chosen each other. I want them to see M and mr M singing our song. I want them to see my mom and my future mom-in-law shed tears of joy. I want them to see us laughing and hugging and kissing surrounded by our closest friends and family who are all doing the same. THIS is how I want my wedding to be decorated with God's blessings, with laughter, and with enduring love.

The rest are minute details that no one but some of my very detail-oriented friends will remember. In fact, I am one of those wedding guests who loses the invitation before the wedding day and forgets to take the program home.

I'm bravely putting this post out there into cyberspace as a reminder to myself (which I may need to read many many times) before the day I become Mrs. Small Fry.

Thank you, Robby, for reminding me daily of what's important.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I really love this post! :) So looking forward to sharing your day with you soon and capturing all that you want your guests to see. xoxox!

    ReplyDelete